History of Christ United Methodist Church
In 1839, in old Williamsport (now part of Alliance) a Methodist Class was organized and preaching established under the direction of Reverend M. L. Weekly in connection with the Salem Circuit. The class furnished an old wheelwright shop for this purpose. Later they erected a simple frame church in the town of Freedom, now also part of Alliance, on east Perry Street just east of Walnut Avenue. When the congregation outgrew this church, it was sold to the Friends. In 1864, a lot was purchased on Main Street and in 1866 a new church was built. The present church lots were purchased in 1894 and ground broken in 1895. The cornerstone was laid April 30, 1896, and the present building was dedicated on September 3, 1899, over one hundred years ago.
Much remodeling has been done to the church building over the years and in 1961 the old Community House was completely remodeled, adding new classrooms. On the third floor, formerly the gymnasium, a completely new fourth floor with stage and kitchenette was added.
The name of the church was First Methodist Episcopal Church until 1939 when it was changed to First Methodist Church. At the time of unification with the Evangelical and United Brethren Church in 1968 the name was changed to Christ United Methodist Church.
On May 2, 1985, Christ United Methodist Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.